Inspiration in the kitchen can come from a variety of culinary sources. When you want to expand your family’s menu and sample delectable dishes, you can draw from both regional and international cuisine.
American cuisine refers to dishes that are popular throughout the United States. They are as varied as the landscape of America itself. However, some common ingredients found in many American dishes include:
- Red meat like hamburger or steak
Further, American cuisine expands beyond hamburgers, apple pie and French fries. Some more complex American dishes are:
- Blackened chicken
- Boston baked beans
- Bacon-wrapped fillets
- Cheesy shrimp and grits
American recipes often reflect the culture and availability of ingredients from the region from which they derive.
The Deep South is just one example of a region in the U.S. that is well-known for its unique cuisine. Southern recipes that considered to be staple dishes include:
- Chicken fried steak with milk gravy
- Buttermilk cornbread
- Green beans with bacon and onions
- Slow-cooked bourbon pulled pork
- Sweet potato pie
Southern cuisine is geared more toward comfort, satisfaction, rich flavors and enjoying sit down dinners with family and friends.
Italian cuisine is one of the most popular from which aspiring and experienced chefs alike draw inspiration. Common ingredients found in Italian dishes are:
- Olive oil
Of course, pasta of all varieties is also a staple in many Italian dishes.
Examples of popular Italian recipes include:
- Ossobuco alla milanese, or bone-in veal shank combined with white wine, stock and vegetables
- Spaghetti alla vongole, made with spaghetti, mussels and tomatoes
- Panzanella, a salad that features bread, onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, tomatoes, basil and olive oil
- Pizza margherita, made with tomato sauce, olive oil, mozzarella and basil leaves
Like American cuisine, Italian recipes vary according to each region and availability of ingredients in the country.
Latin cuisine is derived from countries like Brazil, Panama, Argentina, Peru, Chile and others throughout Central and South America. Some popular Latin dishes are:
- Pao de Queijo, a Brazilian dish made with cheese and casava flour
- Arepa, popular in Columbia and Venezuela made from corn flour
- Patacones, or fried plantain chips, which are popular in Columbia
- Alfajores, common in Brazil, made with soft cookies and dulce de leche
Ingredients found in Latin cuisine range from plantain and potatoes to rice, corn, mangoes and beef.
Asian cuisine can include dishes not only from China but also Laos, Vietnam, Malaysia, South Korea, Japan and other countries throughout the region. Examples of common Asian fare include:
- Bibimbap, which is Korean rice with eggs and vegetables
- Lamb korma, made with ingredients like lamb, curry sauce, potatoes and chickpeas
- Kushiyaki, a Japanese dish made with beef, rice vinegar and soy
- Tokneneng, a Filipino street food made with hard-boiled eggs and orange-flavored flour
Asian cuisine can feature a wide variety of ingredients like chicken, rice, soy and curry sauces, chickpeas and peanuts.
Inspiration to expand your culinary prowess in the kitchen can come from both regional and international fare. Try out these recipes and others from around the world today.